Seniors Can Find Comfort and Companionship at Alzheimer's Facilities in Wichita, KS
Discover how pet therapy can help a beloved elder in your life
One of the hardest things in life can be seeing a friend or loved one suffer from the effects of dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. Fortunately, with Alzheimer’s facilities available, your loved one can get the care and support they need.
We understand the difficulties that can come with senior care, and one of the biggest is problems with memory and cognition. As we age, many things can get weaker, and our memory is no different. Fortunately, that’s where pet therapy can help. Pet therapy is when seniors or other people with assisted living needs are given a pet to take care of some of the time. Having an animal to take care of and spend time with has been shown to help seniors get through difficult days, as well as reduce the effects of depression and anxiety. Because of this, many Alzheimer’s facilities in the area offer pet therapy services and have many four legged friends to keep our guests company.
Additionally, pets have been shown to help seniors in several ways besides those listed above. Some of these include:
- Pets can have a calming effect that can lower blood pressure and heart rate
- Pets can reduce stress levels as well as increase serotonin production which helps mood stability
- Exposure to animal dander can help improve immune system function
- The friendly companionship of animals can help reduce feelings of isolation or anxiety
- The presence of a pet can help curb behavior issues in many seniors
- Several studies have shown that having a pet helps improve Alzheimer’s patient’s appetites, which can have long term benefits on their health
As you can see, having a pet around is good for everyone, and especially for those in Alzheimer’s facilities.
ComfortCare Homes of Wichita, KS provides memory care services to the following cities and neighborhoods: Wichita, Derby, Augusta, El Dorado, Newton, Hutchinson, Pretty Prairie, Kingman, Norwich, Conway Springs, Belle Plaine, and the surrounding areas of Kansas.